Thursday, July 31, 2008

Woman catches lake creature with 'legs'

A woman fishing in an Ocoee lake caught a fish-like creature with "legs". The woman's photos show what appears to be a fish with two front legs and no scales. The woman said she was "freaked out a little bit" after pulling the creature to a pier. I know you are thinking "Here we go again another invasive species" but actually this is a species native to the southeastern states. It`s actually a Lesser Siren which is species of aquatic salamander. And I have to admit that although I know quite a bit about what you will find in the waters of Florida this one was new to me. It looks a bit a like the invasive Snakehead but the Siren has front legs instead of fins and although the Snakehead can live for a while out of water it is not an amphibian. There was talk of the Snakehead being a major problem and having seen how voracious they are I am suprised they have not been as of yet. Maybe they ate all of the Sirens up and that`s why I never saw one yet.


No comments: